Thursday 17 April 2008

Sssshhhh...nearly there!

Ok, you think I don't know..? Two days to go and not a peep out of me. Well, what do you expect; I am woefully under-trained for my perceived requirement, the weather has been atrocious this week with a mixture of heavy rain, snow and damp all times other!

On top of that I had a tooth break at the beginning of the week leaving zero option but to visit he who mustn't be mentioned. I needed treatment on four areas including the broken tooth and a trip to doctor to take the sand from my eyes having burined my head for too long in it!
The resultant infection left me sleepless and rattling with pain-killers and antibiotics: not the best preparation for the weekend.

It's now Thursday; the race is Saturday. I feel far removed from the fit, prepared, confident individual I'd hoped to be at this point in April: looking in the mirror, all I see is me.

So, me it will be that stands in the darkness, in the rain and in the cold with a 35m beam stuck to my forehead and 100km and 3000m ascent to overcome. From my position at the keyboard I can't see even 50k as 'do-able'; but still hold the dream of running into the finish area at Laissac some 20 hours after that 6am start.

A bientôt.

Johnny

No comments: